External student services

External students have access to online library resources.

Getting a Library card

If you come into the library to borrow books, you must have your Murdoch University student card.

You can get a card at the IT Service Desk at the South Street Campus Library, or the Helpdesk at Rockingham or Peel Campus Libraries.

If you live more than 30 aerial kilometres from the South Street Campus, you can request a card using the Student ID / Library Card application form. (DOC, 25kb)

Requesting copies of journal articles and book chapters

Before making a request:

  1. Check your unit code in Reserve and electronic course materials to see if the item you want is listed. It may already be available in digital format for you to download.
  2. Check Findit to see if your journal article is available online.

If you are not sure about searching for online journal articles, please use our Ask A Librarian service.

If you still cannot find the chapter or article you want, or if we only have it in print format, we will scan and email a copy to you in PDF.

Submit your request on the document request form.

Please note:
The Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) (s.49) states that you may request the copying of:

  • no more than 1 chapter (or 10%) of any one book.
  • only one article from any one issue of a journal. You may request more than one article from an issue if they are all required for the same topic of study or research.

Requesting journal articles using ArticleReach

You can use ArticleReach to request journal articles that are not available from Murdoch University Library.

Using other libraries

You can apply for reciprocal borrowing privileges at a library closer to where you live or work.

Academic libraries in Western Australia

University of WA, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University

  • Apply online.
  • Take your Murdoch University student card with you to the library of choice.

University of Notre Dame and TrainingWA Libraries

  • Take your Murdoch University student card AND proof that you are currently enrolled at Murdoch (for example, a printout of enrolment for current year) to your library of choice.

See Reciprocal Borrowing - Western Australian University Libraries (PDF, 317 kb) for more information.

Australian and overseas academic libraries

You can apply for membership of any of the libraries in the University Library Australia is a national borrowing scheme.

Apply directly to these libraries. You will need photo ID and proof of your current Murdoch enrolment.

For all other libraries, please use the application form to apply for a letter of introduction.

Reciprocal borrowing and access to resources and facilities is a privilege that is granted at the discretion of the host library and some of their electronic resources may not be available to you due to licensing issues.

Any misuse of privileges granted to you may result in your borrowing rights being revoked.